Avast Antivirus Software is a security software company in based Czech Republic, the company develops antivirus software and internet security services. It was founded by Pavel Baudiš and Eduard Kučera in 1988 as a cooperative and is a private company since 2010. Avast holds the biggest share of the world market for antivirus applications and its portfolio includes a wider array of security-related products targeting both consumer and corporate markets, such as Avast Antivirus and Avast SecureLine (virtual private network) for Android, Microsoft Windows, iOS and macOS platforms.
As of 2016, Avast had 400 million users and 40 percent of the security software market outside of China. Avast has over 650 employees based in the Czech Republic, with offices in the United States, Germany, China, South Korea and Taiwan. In September 2016, Avast Software acquired AVG Technologies for US$1.3 billion.
Avast programs are only available to internet-connected devices, and are available in 45 languages. The Avast product range includes the following
Avast Software and AVG Technologies for Microsoft Windows products
- Avast Free Antivirus – Free for non-commercial and home usage. This product’s features include antivirus with antispyware, Avast Passwords, Secure HTTPS scanning, streaming updates, hardened mode, DeepScreen, Home Network Security scanner, Do Not Track, SiteCorrect, antiphishing, anti-malware, Smart Scan, Rescue Disk, and Software Updater (manual). Requires 1-year registration and includes advertisements for other Avast products.
- Avast Pro Antivirus – For home use. Includes all features of the Free version, with the addition of Secure DNS and Sandbox. Does not require registration, but does require a license or activation code.
- Avast Internet Security – Includes all the features of Pro, with the addition of a silent firewall and antispam. Does not need registration, but does require a license or activation code.
- Avast Premier – Includes all the features of Internet Security, with the addition of a data shredder, an “Access Anywhere” service, and automatic software updater (for programs such as Google Chrome). Does not require registration, but does require a license or activation code.
- Avast Cleanup – A PC cleaning tool and optimizer.
- Avast Secure Line – A virtual private network for encrypted, anonymous communications and browsing via Wi-Fi.
- Avast SafeZone – A web browser that is installed with each Avast Antivirus product
Avast Software and AVG Technologies for Mac OS products
- Avast Free Mac Security – An antivirus solution for Apple Macintosh machines running Mac OS X based on a central virus-scanning daemon; offers three shields, on-demand scanning and WebRep clients which are automatically (optionally) installed to Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- Avast SecureLine – A virtual private network for encrypted, anonymous communications and browsing via Wi-Fi.
Avast Software and AVG Technologies for Android products
- Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus – Freemium app for use on Android devices. Free version includes a virus scanner, virus removal, protector, network meter, app manager, app lock, backup, and a firewall on rooted phones. Paid version includes the features found in the free app plus app locking, geo-fencing, remote SMS, data recovery and identification, and extended backup.
- Avast Anti-Theft/Anti-Theft Rooted – Locates and tracks lost mobile phones and can control phones remotely via SMS or desktop. Remotely locks or wipes phone memory.
- Avast Battery Saver
- Avast Cleanup – storage cleaning tool, that helps users to make more space on their mobile devices. Avast provides both free version funded by ads and PRO version with no ads and with a few bonus features.
- Avast SecureLine – proprietary VPN
- Avast Wi-Fi Finder
- Avast Passwords
Avast Software and AVG Technologies for iOS products
Avast SecureLine – Proprietary VPN for iPhone and iPad
Avast SecureMe – Free VPN for WiFi
Avast Wi-Fi Finder
Avast Photo Space – Cloud Photo Storage
Avast Software and AVG Technologies for Business products
- Avast for Business – Free for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs). It is a cross-platform solution that includes antivirus protection, Web threat scanning and integrated browser protection, and a cloud management console.
- Endpoint Protection/Protection Plus/Protection Suite/Protection Suite Plus
- Email Server Security
- File Server Security
- Security Suite for Linux